Friday 12 July 2013

Free Motion Quilting - Honeysuckle


Last month I tried out some leaf and flower shapes in free motion quilting, and rather liked one of the designs because it looked a bit like honeysuckle.  Today I decided to be brave and try to do a more realistic design. The first step was easy, just going and picking a sample flower from the front garden.

Because it has been so hot today, I didn't even start until the early evening because treadling is a bit energetic in this weather.  I was rather glad when the bobbin thread ran out so I could take a break.



Here is a detail of the panel so far - fat quarter size, and not yet filled.  I am doing one line of honeysuckle down the middle and filling in with plain leaves on either side.



The flowers are mainly in bud to make them simpler...



... but I think they are still recognisable as honeysuckle.

It has been a great pleasure working out this design.  I love working with plants, but over the past week this has meant getting scratched and stung by brambles and nettles.  Quilting honeysuckle was a welcome change.

This post is being linked to Leah Day's blog for Free Motion Friday - be sure to visit plenty of the blogs linked there to see what people are up to!  
Also linking up to Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Fridays where there is some wonderful work to be seen.

9 comments:

  1. Very pretty! You did a great job capturing a realistic-looking honeysuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh I just love this. It really looks terrific. I found your blog through Whoop Whoop! lol I love evrything I see here - I am a new follower.
    jan@http://sewandsowfarm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jan - Thank you for following!
      Love,
      Muv

      Delete
  3. Hello Muv
    Lovely work. Definitely recognizable as honeysuckle - I can almost smell it!
    Hugs G
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This came out so good! It really does look like honeysuckle! I really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing - both the design AND the fact that you did it on a treadle!! Whoop whoop for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a geat idea! Love it!!!

    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com
    ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...