Thursday 13 February 2014

Another Scrappy Cot Quilt


After having such a good time making the scrappy cot quilt last month, I have made another, just finished this afternoon.  The fabrics in the centre are mainly shades of red and blue, mostly florals, not of themselves what you might first think of as being ideal for a cot quilt.



Once this vintage style nursery print was on around the border the whole thing just looked a whole lot pinker.  The toys hanging out their washing are just hilarious.  



Luckily I found variegated quilting thread in red, blue and neutral shades, perfect for the centre panel. I used a different thread for the border.



It is always interesting to see how the colours work with each other.  I love the way the blue hexagon on the rectangle of patchwork print just seems to float.  Also, in this picture four of the fabrics date back to the late 70s or early 80s.  I am gradually using them up.

To make this quilt I used three machines, the 1945 Singer 15K treadle for the quilting, the 1949 hand machine for some of the strips (the ones with lots of seams to feed through) and the binding, and the 1936 201K treadle for the rest of the strips , as shown on last week's video.

Welcome to Lorna McMahon and Martha Murphy, the latest followers - thank you for joining!

Lots more projects to see at the links...
Kelly's blog My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday
and Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday 
and M-R's blog Quilt Matters for TGIFF
and Leah Day's blog for Free Motion Friday

6 comments:

  1. Nice job on the quilting - a perfect show and tell for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet quilt! You made the scraps all work so beautifully together. I agree -- toys hanging out their washing is hilarious! Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toys hanging out there washing is very nostalgic, it reminds me of when I was a little girl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really a great finish, it feels very classic and perfect for a cot (which I'm assuming is a baby's bed?--we would call it a crib). I read recently that it's easier to find 50 fabrics which go together than 5, and you prove it true!
    Lisa from Canada :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. super cute little quilt! I love the scrappy look!

    Thank you so much for sharing this at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...