Thursday 1 May 2014

Buttonholes on Tweed


Today I got to grips with the tweed cushion that I am making for my husband.  I needed to cut the quilted panel to size and bind the edges, and then do five buttonholes.  It was a replay of last week when I did the buttonholes on the 1940s blouse - attaching the buttonholer to the 201K treadle and trying not to go crossed eyed at the blur in front of me as the work is swung rapidly side to side beneath the needle.


Here is the back.  I used quilting thread and went twice round the buttonhole to get a nice firm finish. If anything I think the buttonholes turned out better on the tweed than they did on the cotton for the blouse.

I always used to do my buttonholes by hand, which was very time consuming.  Now with the buttonholer how long does one buttonhole take?



About 30 seconds.  Total pleasure.

Linking up today with Kelly's blog My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday 

3 comments:

  1. I have several vintage buttonholers, but, I've never used one yet. One day I'll have to pull out my attachments and play with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me ages to get round to using mine. I also have a Greist buttonholre, but I think I prefer this one, which has no maker's name on it, so I think it is probably Japanese.

      Delete
  2. I've never used my buttonholer, but I really need to play around with it!

    Thank you so much for partying at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...